Cam Chain tensioner

Dave Daniels dwaynedaniels at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 13 19:01:05 PST 2007

The concept of the tensioner is really simple and there only three ways I can think of that would cause failure. One is if the teeth aren't holding it because they're worn down. Another is the spring isn't strong enough to adjust it out when needed. And the third is that it's gotten itself locked up on a tooth because of maybe some crap in there, or maybe there's a burr on the tooth that it's caught on. If I were you, I'd take it out and clean it real good and see if it works like it's supposed to. Or you can just toss it and get the manual. But, it wouldn't hurt to clean it and inspect it first. I personally don't like the design. I think once I get my bike back in working order, I'm gonna go ahead and do the manual. But, I'll wait until I start hearing the chain.

schnowz <schnowz at localnet.com> wrote:  OK so I know some of you have fitted the manual cam chain tensioner, but why
doesn't the stocker work? Is it because the spring is too weak or the teeth
aren't sharp enough on the ratchet?
Has anyone tried shimming the spring with washers (or installing a stronger
spring) or sharpening the ratchet teeth?
It's making quite a clatter when it's cold and the ear plugs just aren't
cuttin it anymore. ;-)
Is the manual BS about removing the left cover to crank the crankshaft? Can
you just blip the starter button (with kill switch off) to settle it without
worrying about it jumping a tooth...
TIA
I'm on digest so CC me of list..

Pete S