Cam Chain tensioner

Steve Northrop blackgpz at
Sun Jan 14 18:33:12 PST 2007

As long as you don't move anything while the tensioner is out, the chain
will stay on the sprockets. APE makes the manual tensioners. They're on ebay
for about $44. The one for the ZX11 fits our bike.

Steve in Western NY
'96 GPZ1100
'02 Daytona 955i
"You Can't Fix Stupid", Ron White

----- Original Message -----
From: "schnowz" <schnowz at>
To: "Dave Daniels" <dwaynedaniels at>; <gpzlist at>
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2007 11:49 PM
Subject: Re: Cam Chain tensioner

  No.. actually it turns the engine in the correct forward direction so the
slack side is on the tensioner. Being a lazy bastid i don't wanna remove the
bottom plastic and cover and now I'm thinking i could bump the engine with
the rear wheel in top gear first - before blipping.. No?
 Question: if this is done, not a valve adjustment, and the tensioner is
removed, can the chain fall of the sprocket far enough to loose the timing.
I'm thinking not but thought I'd ask first.
How much are the mechanical tensioners and who carries them?

 Pete S
 Glad you got the carcass by the way, sounds like a steal...