Navigation systems banned in Switzerland?

Ped pedmail at dbmail.dk
Wed Jan 24 14:13:16 PST 2007

Hi George,

In the meantime I found this FAQ:

http://www.surfinagain.com/images/astrafaq.pdf

 From what I can read it is crystal clear that any warning against fixed
or mobile speed cameras derived from a GPS based navigation system is
prohibited. This includes speed camera POI's which I believe is standard
in some nav systems and extra's in other systems. I wonder how the
police are going to enforce this rule - any news on this? GPS nav
systems are so common now that practically every van and every second
private driver uses it. The police are going to get very busy if they
have to run through the menu's and POI's on these system in order to
establish whether it's a legal or illegal system.

Warnings distributed via sms or similar are not yet prohibited but will
be soon.

Just for fun I downloaded and installed this free application on my cell
phone today:

http://www.foxytag.com/en/presentation.html

I have no idea whether it works or not, but I might try it on a trip
through Germany next month. Having done so deliberately would make me a
hardened criminal seen from the Swiss law enforcement point of view...
:-)   I think I'd better stick to ordinary road maps when riding through
Switzerland next time...

Alex: Thanks for the translation.

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ