Rattle

Dave Daniels dwaynedaniels at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 17 19:20:05 PDT 2007

Sure it's not the cam chain?

schnowz <schnowz at localnet.com> wrote:  Some of you may remember me complaining of a rattle at startup. It comes
from the Starter area and goes away if the engine is racing, but if it gets
close to stalling, as you take the choke off, there is a irregular
clattering noise. I'm thinking the starter clutch or alternator
chain/tensioner and less likely the coupling damper on the alternator.
It doesn't sound like a bearing ,or at least radial play, though I
suppose it could be axial...
The book says to remove the carbs to get the starter motor off. And remove
the engine, and to split the crankcase to get the starter clutch out? Is
this correct? If so I'll jest let the bastid rattle,

Anyone had this noise or have any thoughts?

TIA
Pete S