Worn clutch?

Dave Daniels dwaynedaniels at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 1 11:49:29 PDT 2007

I had to replace mine because it started slipping. The bike was put back together from being a basket case after being wrecked. It's evident that it was ridden hard and put away wet. The odometer had less than 4500 at the time but I question whether that's true. Anyway, it's highly unusual, from what I gather, for a GPZ clutch to die so young. In any event, it just started slipping. I'd be going along just fine, but when I would get on the throttle, it would slip. And to this day, you can't convince me that it had anything to do with the oil I was using. As a side note: Don't use Gunk engine flush to clean out the engine.

john leonard <jlmdx at hotmail.com> wrote:  Wow, you guys are quick.

I use standard auto-grade Castrol, but have for the last 7 years. The
clutch "I thought" used to engage around the half-way lever position, but I
may be wrong - I've been riding 3 different bikes.

I was using 10w-30 in past years becuase I did cold weather riding - mostly
short stop-and-go trips. But this season I switched to 15W-40. I change
the oil and filter frequently.

Has anyone actually needed to replace their GPZ clutch? And if so, do you
wait for slipping / odd tach movements, or just a total no-go state?

john