clutch replacement...

James Keefover jkeefover at swansonindustries.com
Tue May 8 17:52:35 PDT 2007

Schnowz,

You know me well, cheap and lazy.  In this case add rushed into the mix
because I have a big ride scheduled next weekend and don't want to have to
abandon my bike in the Smokies and hitchhike home, lol.

I'm liking your hydraulics theory.  Here's some info that might add weight
to the optimistic theory.  When I first pull out after the bike sitting for
a while, the clutch takes up at the middle of the lever's travel, normal.
It's only after the clutch is pumped a few times does it seem to start
working it's way to the end of the lever travel.  Also I'm really easy on
clutches typically.  I've only had this bike for a year (13000 of it's 24000
life), but it sure does seem early to need a clutch.

I will study the exploded view of the master cylinder tomorrow and maybe
change out fluid and look for blockage.

Thanks,
James