k&n air filter

blackgpz at rochester.rr.com blackgpz at rochester.rr.com
Wed May 16 06:15:17 PDT 2007

Charles is right when he says the airbox volume is too small for an
1100cc motor. The airbox for a typical late model 600cc bike is
probably 3 times the size of ours. The biggest problem though, is the
size of the snorkel opening. From what I remember, the opening is about
3/4" x 5". As a comparison, the airbox opening on my 955cc Daytona is a
4" x 8" oval. The small opening promotes low rpm cylinder filling with
a high velocity intake charge, but it just cannot provide the volume of
air required to make high rpm power. This is why you feel a little of
the low end grunt go away when you get rid of the airbox. With pods,
the great outdoors is your airbox and the engine is able to get all the
air it needs at high rpm and it must be re-jetted accordingly. To
clarify for Jerry, the GPZ airbox is not pressurized. There is no "ram-
air" effect. Air is not fed in, it must be pulled in by the engine, so
basically, your engine sucks!