Pinging

William K Denton wkdenton at verizon.net
Wed May 23 08:44:59 PDT 2007

Jeff,

You're probably lugging the engine, and FWIW, yes bikes are a lot different
than cars.  I was weaned on a 1968 Camaro w/ a 327CI V8 / 4SP and it took me
almost five years of driving and shifting Japanese imports "incorrectly"
before I got it (now I shift my Honda CR-V at redline, woohoo!).

The secret is this... you won't break it or hurt it as long as you stay
below the redline, so let er rip with the rpm range and see how and where it
feels right.  I usually don't wind out 1st gear, but after that around town
I shift around 5-6K rpm.  On the highway or on-ramps, I have been known to
shift routinely at 6-9K rpm.  I would agree with Mike B. that you should not
be cruising or shifting at less than  ~3500 rpm in the lower three gears.

Good luck and good revving...
Bill in Yardley, PA
wkdenton at verizon.net
'96 GPz1100