Pinging

John Soliday johnsoliday at msn.com
Wed May 23 11:56:48 PDT 2007

Does it go away using 93 octane ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Markham [mailto:automan25 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:01 AM
To: GPzList at micapeak.com
Subject: Pinging

Subject 1: My '96 GPZ still pings after trying several different brands of
gasoline. I took the bike to a friend of mine last night who has a lot of
experience with motorcycles and he confirmed the pinging between
2500-4000rpm. He suggested that often on the ZX1100 (and possible the GPz as
well) the carbs are quite lean from the factory in order to pass emissions;
my bike perhaps more so since it is a CA model. He suggested opening the
pilot screws up 1/2 a turn to see what happens.

Before doing that I wanted to ask again here if any of you have had similar
pinging trouble between 2500-4000. If so, how did you fix it? For me it only
happens in that range if the bike is under a heavy load (i.e. I really give
it a lot of gas) It does not ping when driving the bike like normal. Never
the less I don't think it should be pinging under any condition.

Subject 2: How do you folks use your gears under normal riding conditions?
By this I mean 1. how far do you let the engine rev up before switching
gears, and 2. how fast do you let the engine run when cruising at a steady
speed? For example when I'm cruising at 35mph - 40 mph I'm usually in 4th
gear. In 4th at this speed the engine is just a touch below 3000rpm. The GPz
is my first bike so I'm really used to driving a car with a manual tranny
and not a motorcycle. In most cars I'd never cruise at a speed above
3000rpm, my gas mileage would be terrible and the engine would be loud and
annoying. My Olds Intrigue, which is an automatic, barely spins at 2000rpm
at 60mph. So, is it totally different with motorcycles? Should I be cruising
at 4000 instead. Any ideas would be welcome.

Subject 3: Is there a place online with an archive of the email traffic that
is sent through this GPzList? I'd love to be able to look at past messages?

Thanks,

-Jeff Markham

Jeffrey R. Markham
Digital Designer