Terminal crimper - how to?

Art Lischer alisch80 at mchsi.com
Wed Nov 28 06:21:36 PST 2007

Although I've not done the Hitachi connectors before, I have done many
of the vinyl jacketed bullet style connectors found on motorcycles and I
have a crimper similar to what you have.  The bare metal spades on the
bullet connectors have two sets of "flaps" to crimp; one for the bare
wire and one to secure the insulation to the spade.  The flaps securing
the insulation are usually the hardest to get crimped as you have to
overlap them.  I think the Hitachi spades work the same except after
crimping you simply push the crimped spade/wire assembly into the
housing until it snaps; locking it into place.

As for using the dies; just find one that fits the connector snuggly,
place it in the die, then guide the wire into it.  I crimp the bare wire
in first as its usually the easiest to manage.  One trick is to not trim
too much insulation off the end.  You only want a short bit of exposed
wire to crimp.  Then move to crimp the "flaps" to secure the
insulation.  Use the same die you used for the bare wire only you may
have to "help" the "flaps" fold over and start to over lap with a small
flat blade screwdriver before actually squeezing to make the crimp.

HTH,
Art in DM