Oil Pan cracked at oil plug

Ped pedmail at dbmail.dk
Sun Sep 16 09:52:48 PDT 2007

I got myself a huge problem today: While doing the oil change I
(probably) over tightened the lower oil plug,

http://www.pedmail.dk/olieprop.jpg

(the most left one of the two marked A)

- resulting in a crack in the metal where the bolt is mounted. The crack
is tiny and barely visible, but big enough to leak oil. It has the
length of the bolt thread.

Of course the right solution is to go and get another oil pan. Although
there is a considerable amount of dismantling to do it can actually be
replaced without taking the engine out of the frame, according to the
manual. However, it is highly unlikely that a new oil pan should be in
stock here in DK, and in the week ahead I simply don't have the time to
do a repair of this magnitude. So it's going to be a winter project.
Now, on next Sunday I'm going on an 860 km (460 miles) trip to
Luxembourg, and a week later I'm going to attend the 2. Alpentreffen (a
GPZ 1100 meeting) in Bavaria, Germany, also some 400 miles away. Is
there a temporary fix to this crack/oil leak that I can rely on with a
fair amount of confidence? I am not going to set off on a trip of that
length to foreign countries without a strong belief that the fix is
going to hold. Could the crack be welded? Or could something as simple
as Loctite do the trick? Any tip, trick or comment highly appreciated -
thanks in advance!

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark