Steve and Jims adventure?

Randolph Peters arpee44 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 23:54:52 PDT 2008

Hey guys,
Although largely a lurker, I enjoyed reading your accounts of trips made this summer and the photos (Cinci, etc.) that y'all shared.
I also did a long ride two weeks ago: New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale, about 800 miles on the ZZR 1200. Split into two 400-mile days both ways.th
Had to do business there so I decided that it was time for a long run.  Strapped on a pair of humongous Givi monokeys. (those thinks stick out there so much that it;s like turning a pickup into a duallie) and a tank bag.
The ZZR is not as smooth as the GPZ. You have to be doing 90 plus to achieve comparable silkiness and then above 110 it becomes a hooligan again.
I took the super slab, I-10, I-75, Florida turnpike, so there were no rewarding sightseeing stuff or interesting landscapes (except perhaps the rolling hills? hillocks? of the first 30  miles of the FL turnpike going South) so there are no photos to post.
It was strictly man and machine, tarmac and lurking cops, focus and reverie/introspection.
So as a strictly riding experience here are some issues that may interest listers:
Convertibars rock! That added height and with a d.i.y customizing of the notorious ZZR seat (add a gel pad and additional foam in the butt area, then staple/hand sew another vinyl seat covering over the original) resulted in surprising lack of back or butt aches at the end of the day for this sixty-plus rider.
However, the back of the thighs from the butt six inches down, by the end of the day was literally on fire! Most of the day it was around 95 degrees and I was wearing jeans.
For the return trip, I bought a pair of out of season fleece pants and changed to boxers. That helped, but only a little.
WHAT ARE THE REMEDIES FOR THIS AFFLICTION AMONG LISTERS? does talcum powder help? ice at the end of the day?
Secondly, if you are not averse to riding in the rain, get a Triumph rain suit.  This is the best of several I've tried. It's a one-piece that zips up funny (you start at the ankles and zip up to the neck) but boy, I rode in tropical storm weather - black sky, Niagara rain, lane-change  winds - from Orlando to Ocares on the way back and the only discomfort was soaked gloves. They cost about $100 and are available online.
IS IT AN ILLUSION OR IS VISIBILITY IN THIS TYPE OF WEATHER REALLY BETTER ON THE BIKE THAN IN A CAR?
Lastly, has anyone found a pair of Ipod head phones that can stay in place when a helmet is pulled on? Music would have certainly been an improvement on my ear plugs.
Thanks for your patience if you have read this far.
And thanks for continuing to give me access to this great list.
Randy in New Orleans.