TLH Trip, Chapter Two

Marilyn Mason masonjs at nrtco.net
Mon Aug 18 13:51:16 PDT 2008

Don't get tangled up with anyone growing hemp on the island--they guard
their cash crop.
Have a good time its a beautiful island.  If you had my Vstrom a good trip
would be to take a ferry at the north end of the island to Bella Coola and
then take the mountain dirt (it could be paved now) the 500 miles east to
Williams Lake.  When I was on the east end of it driving into Alexis Creek
back in the early 70's.  It was actually scarier than anything on the Qc/TLH
from 2 weeks ago.  1.5 lanes dirt, blind corners, locals drove it at 70 mph.
You looked at the road straight ahead of you and then 2 miles ahead
everytime you came around a moutain corner.  If you saw dust rising look for
a wide spot in the road to pull over and let what ever was coming, go past.
Generally Canada is safer than the USA.  But while I was away on my trip I
found some 21 year old kid in Chilliwack (an hour east of Vancouver) shot
and killed my daughter Liz's (we adopted Liz at 7 weeks old) 1/2 brother
Zacary who was only 17.  Apparently the 21 year old was giving a bunch of
them a hard ime so 3 of them walked him up the street and asked him to leave
them alone.  They turned and started to walk back when the 21 year old
pulled out a semi auto pistol and opened up on them.  He hit all 3 of them
in the legs but put one round into Zac's back and through his heart.  The
kid turned himself in 4 days later.

Stupid shit like this shouldn't happen.