saddle bags

The Masons masonjs at nrtco.net
Fri Aug 22 09:02:18 PDT 2008

I didn't mind the stock seat but with the stock bars I would put too much
weight on my wrists and they would take a beating.  I did have a Corbin seat
but they are not worth the $.  It was like a concrete block.  I wore bicycle
shorts which helped a bit.  But as you say the smart thing is to get off the
bike at 150 km.
I was doing well on the Trans Labrador trip while riding with the other guys
as Bill & Bruce smoked so we took a break every 30 - 40 minutes--then I
could spend 10 blinking before another bout of wide eyed staring as the
gravel road and the 18" wide path I was trying to maintain while doing 80
kph (50 mph).  My Suzuki with the Avon Distenza rear and Bridgestone
deathwing front got pretty squirrelly at 90 - 100 kph (55 - 60 mph) which
seemed to be the speed the other guys bikes ran well at.  I realized quickly
if I was closing on them to start down shifting and see wtf was slowing them
down.  Once I was by myself I don't tend to stop for anything but fuel and
food so I'll run 3 hrs which is hard on an old man's skinny arse when you
use 3 tanks in a day.