New sprockets and chain

Jonathon Jay annihilator1100 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 26 14:14:26 PDT 2008

I need to do the math, was thinking of dropping a tooth in front and adding about 3 in back. perhaps I may add one in front and go up into the low 50's in back. As long as I can still reach 100 on the top end, my big goal is to add as much low end as possible.Regards- Jonathon Jay "Cynicism is an unpleasant way of telling the truth." - Lillian Hellman> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:27:28 -0600> From: 1kperday at gmail.com> Subject: Re: New sprockets and chain> CC: gpzlist at micapeak.com> > Generally if you go much SMALLER than stock on the front, it's harder> on the sprocket and the chain, because fewer teeth and a smaller> diameter have to perform the work/load, and the chain has to turn a> sharper corner. Larger than stock in the front (if the chain will> clear the cover) is no problem as far as wear is concerned, but the> engine may "lug" a bit more and you might have to slip the clutch a> bit more. Perhaps that's what the dude was talking about. Probably no> real impact on engine or clutch wear going up one tooth in front, IMO.> > On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Jonathon Jay> <annihilator1100 at hotmail.com> wrote:> > Also, perhaps my memory is bad. I seem to recall hearing something many years ago that altering one of the 2 is hard on the bike. Can't recall if the dude said altering the front was harder or if he said the rear.> -- > Utah Jeff> '96 SheePz1100