Chain and sprockets, valve shims and headstock bearings

William K Denton wkdenton at
Mon Feb 18 23:23:12 PST 2008

Um, don't use  They're named that for a reason.  Slow and
expensive, IME.  Go with if you must buy OEM.  For the
tapered roller bearings, I'd go with CRC2 at Item
#1023 about 2/3 of the way down the page.

Regarding valve clearances, get in there and map clearances and current shim
sizes before you buy anything.  Most times, you can move existing shims
around to minimize the number of new ones you'll need.  If you want a valve
clearance worksheet blank, ping me at wkdenton at and I'll send you

For chain and sprockets, if you're planning on keeping the bike long enough
to wear out another set, go with Sidewinder products .  If you're going to sell it
soon, go somewhere else.

Finally, IMO the sidecar wasn't a dumb idea (there are no dumb ideas, just
dumb responses to ideas).  Sidecars are awesome if you take the time to
learn how to drive one.

Bill in Yardley, PA
wkdenton at
'96 GPz1100