fork oil

Paul Landry p_landry at telus.net
Wed Feb 27 20:15:31 PST 2008

The manual says and I quote...

Fork oil provided when shipping....   KAYABA G10
Fork oil Viscosity				SAE10W-20

I remember banter about this, some using a 10 weight oil, others the 15 and
if I remember correctly Charles working with a personal "blend" of both the
10 and 15 to achieve approximately a 12..

I have run 10 and found it a bit light for my riding, the last two times I
have changed it, went with the 15w and found that works well for me.

Geared up I weigh in at the 200 lb mark, most of my riding is solo.  Here in
the mountains we have a lot of good twisty roads and being in an "alpine
desert" it gets hot here, 30 to 35 normally, up to 40 C during the peak of
the summer.

Yes, thicker oil takes longer to move through the internal passageways of
the forks, slowing down the compression and rebound, making things
"stiffer".

Paul W. Landry
P_Landry at telus.net

Subject: fork oil

Regarding fork oil viscosity?
Can't find my shop manual, what weight did our bikes come stock with? What
effect does playing with the weight do? I would think thicker meant more
cushion but slow response.