fork oil

Jonathon Jay annihilator1100 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:23:11 PST 2008

Now I'm completely tortured. You say:
"> Yes, thicker oil takes longer to move through the internal passageways of> the forks, slowing down the compression and rebound, making things> "stiffer"."
Let's assume I go the opposite route.

So if I go with a lighter oil, it speeds up compression and rebound, but makes the bike "looser"?
I want fast response and don't care as much about cushioning.Regards- Jonathon Jay"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do."> From: p_landry at telus.net> To: annihilator1100 at hotmail.com; gpzlist at micapeak.com> Subject: RE: fork oil> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:15:31 -0800> > > The manual says and I quote...> > Fork oil provided when shipping.... KAYABA G10> Fork oil Viscosity SAE10W-20> > > I remember banter about this, some using a 10 weight oil, others the 15 and> if I remember correctly Charles working with a personal "blend" of both the> 10 and 15 to achieve approximately a 12.. > > I have run 10 and found it a bit light for my riding, the last two times I> have changed it, went with the 15w and found that works well for me.> > Geared up I weigh in at the 200 lb mark, most of my riding is solo. Here in> the mountains we have a lot of good twisty roads and being in an "alpine> desert" it gets hot here, 30 to 35 normally, up to 40 C during the peak of> the summer.> > Yes, thicker oil takes longer to move through the internal passageways of> the forks, slowing down the compression and rebound, making things> "stiffer".> > > Paul W. Landry> P_Landry at telus.net> > -----SNIP-----> > Subject: fork oil> > Regarding fork oil viscosity?> Can't find my shop manual, what weight did our bikes come stock with? What> effect does playing with the weight do? I would think thicker meant more> cushion but slow response. >