First ride after fork rebuild: brake funkiness + fork oil question

1KPerDay 1kperday at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:05:46 PDT 2008

ROFL... I meant lube the pins, doof. :D

 I just walked out with a buddy and sat on the back and stabbed the
brake lever while he moved the wheel back and forth. it's definitely
the brakes. It will do it as fast as I can fan the brake lever.
thunkthunkthunkthunkthunkthunkthunkthunk. Even just barely moving the
tire back and forth. The fender is resonating, making the thunk
louder, but he thinks it's maybe some air behind one of the diaphragms
or something. I did hang my handlebars to the side and some air might
have gotten into the system... I was planning on bleeding them anyway
so I'll try that and see if it goes away.

I also tried spinning the wheel and listening while he sat on the bike
and stabbed the brake and I can't SEE anything moving other than the
pads.

I also gave several good yanks forward, back and up on the forks with
the wheel in the air and there's NO play in the steering stem.

--
Utah Jeff
'96 SheePz1100