Hard Starting

Jeffrey Markham automan25 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 13:06:48 PDT 2008

Lately as the weather has been warming up my GPZ has become very difficult to start. This only occurs after riding it for a while, then stopping for a few minutes to an hour and then trying to start it back up while the engine is still warm. This occured last weekend when my wife and I took our bikes to Orcas Island, WA and I almost didn't get it started up in time to exit the ferry without blocking traffic. Not fun. I figured out that if I dial the idle speed way down it will start, after which I immediately bring it back up to 1250rpm. Any ideas? Mine is a CA bike with the emissions equipment properly (I think) removed.

By the way, if you're looking for a very twisty mountain road to ride, the road to Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island is amazing. Very steep with many 1st gear corners. Quite challenging. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=48.662453,-122.836761&spn=0.03906,0.074844&z=14

Jeff from Washington