Steve Northrop blackgpz at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jul 20 07:14:55 PDT 2008

Ben,
     Did you check the pilot jet as well? It should be a #135. Check the
free length of the diaphragm springs. Stock is 4". If they are 3 1/4", then
they are out of a Dynojet kit and need to be replaced with stock ones. This
is a known cause of an off-idle hesitation you describe. Last, I would check
the float heights. Low speed operation is sensitive to this so they need to
be close to spec, 18-20mm I believe. I'll assume the needles are stock.
     Set the pilot screws to 2 turns out from lightly seated. If the
diaphragms don't have any holes in them and there are no other vacuum leaks
(boots bolted tightly to the head, clamps tight around carbs, no open vacuum
taps for the petcock and KLEEN air valve), it should run with no problems.
     Did it idle OK? Would it hesitate when you blipped the throttle with no
load? I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say it is loading up with
fuel. To me that means if you let it idle it would foul itself out and
eventually quit. Another tip from my experience is once you foul a plug, it
needs to be replaced. Cleaning it doesn't work and the bike won't run right
until you put in a new one(s).

So here's a checklist:
110 Main jet
135 Pilot jet
Float height 18-20mm
No holes in diaphragms (hold them up to the light to look for holes)
Pilot screws 2 turns out
Stock diaphragm springs
No vacuum leaks
Good plugs

If all this checks out, you should be good to go.

Steve in Western NY
'96 GPZ1100
'02 Daytona 955i
'08 KLR 650