David Beard davidebeard at comcast.net
Sun Jul 20 08:56:03 PDT 2008

I second everything Steve said. Even if carbs look clean, remove and
clean the idle jets with solvent and compressed air and make sure they
are stock (35 I think, not 135 ) and blow compressed air through all the
passage in the carbs you can find. Adjusting float heights is not too
difficult if you have a manual and measure carefully. Sometimes a little
grit under the float valve or a worn ring around the tip of the valve
will keep it from seating and fill one of the bowls with gas, so make
sure the seats and float valves are in good shape. Also check the carb
boots for cracks and make sure you have all vacuum ports on the carbs
that do not have a vacuum line attached, plugged.

At what rpm and throttle position are you feeling the bog? For instance
is it only at full throttle in the 2500 to 3500 rpm range or is it at
1/4 or 1/2 throttle as well? Is there a slight improvement or does it
get slightly worse when the bike reaches operating temp? Adjusting carbs
is about 80% science and 20% art. Once everything else has been checked
and verified, a good carb sync may help as well.

Dave B