headlight rewiring with relay

William K Denton wkdenton at verizon.net
Wed Mar 12 21:53:31 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm thinking about rewiring the headlamp circuit on the '96 GPz1100 with
heavy gauge wire and a SPDT relay to improve lighting performance and leave
the door open for increasing the wattage w/o worrying about melting wires.
Just wondering:

A) anyone has already done this?... and

B) can anyone shed light on the circuitous path that the electricity makes
through the OEM headlamp circuit in the shop manual?  I'm not sure I fully
understand the reason behind all the components in the circuit (i.e. the
headlight relay in the junction box "plus" the separate headlight relay
unit; both shown on pp15-43 in the shop manual schematic, lower drawing).  I
also think there may be a misprint in the schematic, as there's nothing in
the junction box connecting to the BR/W wire coming out of it.

TIA,
Bill in Yardley, PA
wkdenton at verizon.net
'96 GPz1100