headlight rewiring with relay

William K Denton wkdenton at verizon.net
Thu Mar 13 19:11:06 PDT 2008

Pete / Julian,

Thanks for the replies.  Apparently, a little voltage drop goes a LONG way
in reducing luminescence.  See below.

10.5V : 510 lumens
11.0V : 597 lumens
11.5V : 695 lumens
12.0V : 803 lumens
12.5V : 923 lumens
12.8V : 1000 lumens (Rated output voltage)
13.0V : 1054 lumens
13.5V : 1198 lumens
14.0V : 1356 lumens (Rated life voltage)
14.5V : 1528 lumens

Anyway, I've been trying to do this "elegantly" by using one SPDT relay, but
I've decided that it will just make things more complicated, not less.  So,
I'm going to go the same route that Julian did by using two SPST relays
tucked into the fairing next to the headlamp.

Bill in Yardley, PA
wkdenton at verizon.net