Wheel Bearings / Swing Arm Bearings.

Paul Landry p_landry at telus.net
Sun Mar 30 14:42:46 PDT 2008

You can tell the weather is getting nice here and riding season is in sight,
as I prepare to put the bike back on the road.

I will be taking the wheels off soon to have the new rubber installed.

Was thinking it might be a good time to replace the wheel bearings and swing
arm bearings at this time.

Question is..  What is the service life expectancy of these?  At what point
have others replaced them (failure / maintenance).

I have 60,000 Km (40,000 miles) on the stock bearings.   The Steering head
bearings were replaced last summer, they had failed / worn out, partially
water induced damage.
The stock steering head and swing arm bearings were serviced by the
dealership and re-greased at 25,000Km but have not been touched since.

I would rather do this as a maintenance item then "suffer" a failure and the
problems that might cause but don't want to spend the time and money if not
required for another season or two.

Thoughts?

Paul W. Landry
P_Landry at telus.net