the '08 bug collection has started

scapco at ecentral.com scapco at ecentral.com
Thu May 15 10:07:47 PDT 2008

While I can't say I've had Jim's painful experience, LOL, I
had one a notch above yours Jeff.

About 1 dozen years ago in the middle of winter I noticed
my 66 Chevy pickup wasn't running very well.  I headed down
the side street revving the crap out of it trying to figure
out what was wrong.  All of a sudden something akin to a
bang happened and it would hardly run at all.  My "educated
guess" was that with well over 100K on the motor that the
timing chain jumped the sprocket.  Lost a motor in my 70
Hurst Olds this way once.  So, I got it home and into the
garage and while freezing my ass off tore the whole front
end off the engine and replaced the timing chain with a
cool new double roller timing chain.  Got everything all
buttoned up, jumped in and...  exactly the same as before.
I cussed, yelled, you name it.  It sat for a few days
before I bothered to look at it again, and discovered.. the
wire from the condenser to the distributor had simply
fallen off.  I reinstalled it in two minutes and it ran
fine.  All that work for nothing, or at least very little
as it did run better with a chain that didn't have so much
slack in it.

Charles S.