Back on the Road and warm startup problems

schnowz schnowz at localnet.com
Mon Nov 10 16:42:17 PST 2008

   OK Steve, Sounds logical.

   I on the other hand have the warm start up problem that was recently
mentioned on the list. It's been getting gradually worse. Stopped for gas on
the way home tonight and couldn't get it started. I take of my gear, luggage
and seat and pull out my multimeter. Hook it on the battery - (Hard to hold
on the +ve , ground (earth)  and hit the starter all at once). The bike
starts before I can check the voltage on cranking. Rats... Put my gear
luggage and seat back on. Hit the starter again  - she no starts.. WTF..
Pull all the crap off again and repeat. This time it still doesn't start and
I'm able to get a reading of 12.6v dropping to 10.1V on cranking. For most
systems this is still good enough, but not for the Geeper. Luckily theres a
Auto Parts Store nearby so I 'm able to get a jump and she starts right up.
    One of the tip offs for a battery that's on the way out is that when you
crank it cold, it won't start as you crank but as soon as you let off the
button she fires as the voltage surges back to 12v and the engine is still
spinnin from the inertia.
  I'll order another battery and hope that's all it is, as it has also been
running a little rough recently.

  Pete Staniforth
   Fingers crossed