GPZ - "hot hands"

Steven Bixby steven at bixbys.net
Tue Nov 11 11:16:01 PST 2008

Personally, I think it's important to put these things on a relay, lest you
overload a circuit that's not meant to handle the current.   What I would do
in your case is to pick any old circuit that's powered with the ignition
switch on - like the running lights up front - and use that to trigger the
relay, with heated-grip power coming directly from the battery, controlled
by the relay.

I haven't done this on my GPZ, but I've done it on my wife's Ninjette, and
there was an accessory plug in the headlight area that turns out to be hot
when ignition is switched on, grounded by the frame.  This was, as I recall,
a yellow/black wire with a bullet connector and nothing hooked up.

Perhaps the GPZ has one too?