POP goes the GPZ - details.

schnowz schnowz at localnet.com
Sat Nov 15 21:50:54 PST 2008

 Sorry to here that Phil..
I'd pull the timing cover and spark plugs and use a socket to turn the
crank. If it turns freely do a compression test - just make sure you have a
decent battery and don't forget to open the throttle fully. I say this
because I fooked up doing one on mine today - I forgot to open the throttle
at first. Duh...Weird thing is one cylinder only came up a few psi - could
be a air leak?? though spraying the inlet has not shown it. Any other ideas?
maybe carb sync or worn valve seals?
  The final results are the two center cylinders are down about 10 psi since
I last did them. 86,000 miles ago (2004).
Outer two haven't changed.
  There was a engine on E Bay a couple of weeks back, but it may have gone
by now.. GPZ's are so cheap, I'm not sure if I would  go to the trouble of
putting in a new engine if the bike is high miles. - If the bike is low
miles (less than 50K miles) and otherwise good condition it's probably worth
it, if you are still happy with the stead.

   Pete Staniforth