POP goes the GPZ - good news!

Philip Hamm philbike20 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 16 08:42:25 PST 2008

Looks like it's an electrical gremlin.  The bike starts and runs fine on an aux battery, but dies because my (new last year) battery is dead.  Seems like the culprit is most likely the Stator (possibly voltage regulator or rectifier).  Hey, 13 years 78K miles on the original stator isn't bad, right?  About 1000 miles ago or so I installed a relay for my heated grips, because the accessory outlet on the GPZ is fused then wired straight to the battery.  It seems either the relay itself or my installation may be at fault.  Or the stator just gave up after 13 years.  That does happen, would the relay be causing a different kind of draw on the electrical system?-Phil