Bike "Totaled"

Mark Reckinger marque at copper.net
Wed Oct 8 19:08:24 PDT 2008

So, my #1 son dumped his 95 GPZ on a muddy stretch of driveway. Low
speed but lots of scraped paint / pipes and a bent rear brake lever. He
ran it through the State Farm claims process and just got word that the
repair estimate comes to $4000! I expect that they'll consider it
totaled and will buy it. For how much, I don't know. Kelly's puts it at
$3050. NADA doesn't even show it. Anyway, I expect there will be a "buy
back" option. My question is, does anyone have any experience with this
process? He's not averse to buying it back but it may make more sense to
let it go and look for a lower mile version later. So, if you've been
through one of these processes, any personal experiences or tips would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark R