Bike "Totaled"

Steve Northrop blackgpz at
Wed Oct 8 19:17:43 PDT 2008

Once totaled, a vehicle must pass a state roadworthiness inspection before 
it can be titled and registered again. The title will be a rebuilt or 
salvage title. This will obviously affect the resale value of the bike. The 
inspection process is a pain in the ass too. I bought a crashed stolen 
recovery bike and went through all this. I'll never do it again.

Steve in Western NY
'96 GPZ1100
'08 KLR 650
"You Can't Fix Stupid", Ron White

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mark Reckinger" <marque at>
To: <gpzlist at>
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:08 PM
Subject: Bike "Totaled"

> So, my #1 son dumped his 95 GPZ on a muddy stretch of driveway. Low
> speed but lots of scraped paint / pipes and a bent rear brake lever. He
> ran it through the State Farm claims process and just got word that the
> repair estimate comes to $4000! I expect that they'll consider it
> totaled and will buy it. For how much, I don't know. Kelly's puts it at
> $3050. NADA doesn't even show it. Anyway, I expect there will be a "buy
> back" option. My question is, does anyone have any experience with this
> process? He's not averse to buying it back but it may make more sense to
> let it go and look for a lower mile version later. So, if you've been
> through one of these processes, any personal experiences or tips would
> be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Mark R

More information about the GPZList mailing list