life saver fall run

The Masons masonjs at nrtco.net
Sun Oct 19 18:23:44 PDT 2008

Well we closed up the cottage on the river and moved home.  ---- and Marilyn
got in some cleaning frenzy---and I found out we are having company on
Tuesday and decided it was time the bike needed exercise.
It was bright and cool 11C (51F).  Lit the bike up and headed southeast to
pick up the Bogie road, took a standard 300 km (200mile) curcuit from Bogie,
to Lanark then northeast through "Deliverence land".  The roads were pretty
much devoid of traffic as the peak of the leaf season has passed and there
are only a skim of yellow, some brassy brown but a bout 70% of the hardwoods
are a barren gray and even the greens of the conifers are dull.  But the
roads were also devoid of gendarms so I made a fairly spirited run ( not
Chalk/Buehle crazy) but to the point I had to slow due to both cold and
elevated heart rate.  I stopped at the Swiss Inn on Hwy 41 Denbeigh for a
bowl of their excellent soup and the borsch was not disapointing.  Warmed up
some I got out onto 41 and was imediatly blow away by a Toyota Solara.  My
wife's brother had one of these and claimed it was fast.  So I down shifted
( I got a 1 litre Vstrom now - you gotta down shift to find the engine) and
started walking on her.  The Solara came in view quickly and this section of
41 was a favorite of Ruby (long 160 kph {100 mph} +) sweepers that had her
leaned in hard.  The vstrom even with the deathwing front and semi road
Distenza Avon rear came out of the first corner at 155kph.  She could have
pulled the ton with ease, but we were biting the bumper of the Solara.  The
Solara was making good time and I was happy wiith the velocity so I deemed
it smarter to let it run blocker at close to 140 kph and I only have to
check the rear view for the next 50 km (30 miles).  I turned off 41onto the
Balaclava freeway and imedeatly ran into fresh rock chip & tar that gave me
a quick side ways slide and serious dejavus of the Trans Labrador Highway of
this past August.  I stopped at Knightington (4th Chute) on the Bonnechere
River to take a picture of the bike and to falls.  Then it was on to Douglas
for a shot of the old limestone grist mill and home.
With luck I'll have a couple more of these runs before my season is over.

Jim  stole another day