If I sell (to get a yesteryear superbike)

William K Denton wkdenton at verizon.net
Sat Aug 8 09:07:11 PDT 2009

The superbikes of the 70's and 80's are still super; we're the ones who've
changed (expectations).  I prove this to myself every time I switch up a
ride on the '96 GPz for the '80 CB-X.  Things that seems effortless on the
GPZ (like an 80mph sweeper) take a great deal of concentration to do on the
big six w/o getting spit off.  Time and technology march onward and upward,
and bring with it our expectations of what a "good" bike should be and do.

If you want to do something truly barbaric, find someone who owns a version
of your first car and drive that.  I did so recently with a '68 Camaro.
327CI w/ a 4 speed (Saginaw), drum brakes all around, manual steering,
manual brakes and <gasp> roll down windows.  AM radio, no A/C.  Not a spec
of heat or sound insulation in it anywhere.  It steered and braked like a 50
yr old p/u truck.  I thought the thing was going to break into a million
pieces at 80mph.  Compare that experience to the cage presently in your own
driveway and you'll suddenly see the Z1, CB750, XS1100, GS1000, <insert
superbike name here> in a different light...

Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton at verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC