vapor lock, and more

Bob Nelson majordad at carolina.rr.com
Tue Aug 11 01:05:13 PDT 2009

Drew, first things first, if the motor wouldn't turn over and you had
gas squirt out of one or more cylinders after you pulled the plugs, it
was hydrostatic lock, not vapor lock.  Hopefully you only had one
flooded cylinder.  There are two requirements for this to happen.
First, you had to have gas flow out of your petcock without vacuum
applied to the petcock  (or the petcock is in the Prime position, if
that is the case switch the petcock to the normal or run position).  The
second requirement is a stuck/leaky float valve in the cylinder involved
allowing gas to over fill the carb and drain straight into the cylinder.

If you are lucky the flooded cylinder was one of the outside carbs.  I
say lucky because I am pretty sure you can pull the float bowls without
pulling the carb rack out of the engine.  If so, you can make sure that
the float is free to move and not stuck open.  If it is free to move,
then after putting the float bowl back on, I would tap the float bowl
repeatedly as I put the petcock in prime to try to help the float
overcome any stiction and hopefully float and thereby close the float
valve.  If the float is stuck open, you will need to disassemble, clean
and carefully watch the first couple of times you start the bike to make
sure your cylinder doesn't lock again.  If you are unlucky, bad things
can happen after hydrostatic lock.  You could end up with bent valves.

Anyway, if this occurred out of the blue and not immediately following
some carb cleaning and reassembly, you might have fallen victim to what
I suspected happened to me.  This March I rode from Charlotte to Florida
with some friends after not having any problems for a very long time.
The next morning I had a cylinder locked.  I attributed it to
contamination from running way down into the reserve on my fuel tank and
running some crud through that partially blocked the float valve open.
After I cleared the cylinder and rode that day, the problem didn't recur.

As far as follow on leaking not associated with the locked cylinder,
that would have to come from a leaking hose or the fuel tubes that
connect the carbs.  Hopefully you will just find that your fuel line is
cracked since that would be the easiest repair.  But that also points to
a bad petcock since you should not have fuel flow through the petcock
when there is no vacuum present to the petcock unless it is in the Prime
position.

Hopefully this rambling makes sense to you and helps.  Good luck!

Bob