vapor lock, and more

The Masons masonjs at nrtco.net
Thu Aug 13 10:27:17 PDT 2009

The manual petcock is only as good as the operator as I found out this
morning.  I took the 1975 Honda XL 250 out last week to make sure it was
running alright as I'm going to sell it.  This morning I went into the
garage and noticed  a  strong aroma of gas.  I checked the Triumph nothing,
then went to the Honda and found about a liter puddle of fuel under it.  The
bike was dripping fuel from near the front sproket.  I turned off the
petcock and the fuel leak stopped.  I wheeled the bike outside, careful not
to create any sparks.
I turned the petcock back on and noticed the fuel was coming out the
carburetor overflow/drain line.  This bike had sat for at lease a week
before the needle valve decided to leak.   I don't remember moving the bike.
Fortunately the garage is not wired for electricity, I could have got one
nasty surprize have I thrown on a light switch.