Heat Soak?

David Fallon davidinwa at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 12:21:40 PST 2009

Thanks; the coil swapping is a good idea.  I'll check for temperature
too.  Electronic alright.  That means the pick up coils could be doing
the heat soak too.

David Fallon

Charles wrote:
Hi David,

I owned a sweet 81 KZ750 and I will agree it's a blast to
ride, I miss it a lot.

What you are describing sounds like an overheated ignition
coil.  It gets hot while riding and when you park it it the
rising engine heat is too much for it and it overheats.
Once you drive it for a few miles, the cool air lowers the
temp enough that the coil kicks back in and it runs fine.

Question 1 is is yours an electronic ignition, I am
assuming it is.  If not, I'd check the point gap as too
wide of points will overheat a coil.  If it is electronic
ignition, you might try some shielding to that coil or swap
the two coils and see if the 2&3 drop out while the 1&4 now
run.  I'm thinking that somewhere it is a heat problem with
that one coil.

Charles S.