Rich burning smell

john leonard jlmdx at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 17 09:42:50 PST 2009

Hi All,

I've noticed that my '96 GPZ is smelling like it's on CHOKE even after it's all warmed up and the choke turned off.  It idles and runs normally.  The pipe ends don't look overly blackened either (yet).  It's getting about 25MPG in the cold weather (i.e. some choke to get me going).

Everything about the bike is completely stock.  It has just under 17,000 miles.

Would this normally indicate that a value job is in order?

Has anyone had a carb butterfly get stuck in the near closed position?

I checked the choke cable and it's not binding.

Thanks for advice, john