Rich burning smell

john leonard jlmdx at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 08:14:45 PST 2009

Thanks Charles!

Excellent suggestions and advice.

1) I pulled the air filter and about 40% was covered in dirt - I have a new one on order (approx $25).  I noticed what appeared to be some oily/gassy sludge on the filter and at the bottom of the air box.  I wouldn't have expected to see any "wetness" in there.

2) I pulled the fuel line and the petcock wasn't leaking but I ordered a new one because I've read lots of complaints about that thing on this board over the years.  Kawasaki discontinued the '96 petcock and is selling an updated one for about $60.

I'll keep you updated,

john