Bike in bad shape - may be time to put the ol' girl down.

Steve Northrop blackgpz at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jul 26 09:46:05 PDT 2009

>>Is cylinder #3 the one that has an oiling problem on the ZX-11 engine?

Our engines as well, but the oiling problem affects the rod bearing. Does
not affect compression at all. Did the shop determine the cause of the low
compression, rings or valves? I doubt very much it's rings. I suspect it's a
bad valve. I had something similar happen to mine, actually lost a chunk out
of the exhaust valve (I'm sure bouncing it off the rev limiter at track days
didn't help!). You may want to consider pulling the head and having a valve
job done. You may have to replace a couple valves but you'll be happy with
the results and save yourself a lot of work parting out the bike.

Steve in Western NY
'96 GPZ1100
'08 KLR 650
'08 Tuono Factory