Paonia BMW Rally

The Masons masonjs at
Mon Jul 27 12:39:56 PDT 2009

 I got 51.34 miles per gallon between Denver
> and Carbondale, including the trip over Independence pass.
> Bruce got very similar mileage on his R1100RT BMW.  We
> can't bitch.  And yes, for some reason the altitude helps.
There's not enough oxygen at those alltitudes to burn more fuel.   I know I
ran out of steam quickly.  I found just washing the rented BMW I had before
I returned it left me panting.  That little 650 did some sucking of its own
going over Wolf Creek Pass.  I think the quoted horse power of 55 was down
to about 30. It reminded me of the children's story "The Little Train that