Ralph, Jerry and Randy's crazy ride report

dominatr37 dominatr37 at optonline.net
Tue Jun 2 20:58:46 PDT 2009

So we did the Cherohala yesterday with Mike, Maria and his friend Bill, but it was rapidly turning dark and was decidedly no fun. I'd say about half of it was in pitch black. Not easy! Slow going and lots of pucker factor! then we grabbed rooms in the Microtel in Robbinsville, and called it a night. Today we headed out in two groups as Bill and I decided to get a later start. we met up with everyone else about 10:30 at the dragon, and they had already run it. I removed my tail bag, my saddle bags and my backpack. Not knowing what to expect , I asked Mike to lead me through, he said no problem and he and I took off. Mike was whipping through and quickly left me behind. I was going slow as hell,  as this thing had me spooked from all the tales of death and destruction I've heard. I saw plenty of skid marks going off into the trees and over the edge of the sheer drop offs. Just then some guy buzzed past me without warning. (Luckily I had spare underwear with me!) I met Mike at the top and took some pictures. I told him it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be from all the stories I've heard. he headed back down , following two leather clad locals, and quickly left me behind. What can say? I'm slow and cautious! I arrived at the dragon cafe place again, we all ate lunch and bought T-Shirts and assorted other junk then said our goodbyes to Mike, Maria and Bill, and headed out on 28. The GPS was leading and that was a big mistake. I had the road atlas on the GPZ yet . I wish I had taken it. I ended up God knows where. 19, 40,11 and who knows what else filled our afternoon from 1PM on. we finally got on 81 somewhere around 5:30. Oh yeah did I mention the thunderstorms?  Well, they were chasing the three of us all day. Pouring rain with lightning and thunder. In between 85 degree blasts of heat. Finally we got the hell out of Tennessee and hit Virginia. Then stopped for dinner about 100 miles south of Roanoke. After that we gassed up again and headed north under threatening skies on 81 again. Of course it rained again on us, with lightning coloring the skies like pyrotechnics, but not that bad this time. we decided to make another 40 miles past Roanoke and pulled off for the night at Lexington, Va. We grabbed a room at a Holiday Inn express, and here I sit telling you all about it at midnight. We'll all be home tomorrow.

Ralph L. Angelo Jr.
Author of "Help! They're all out to get me!
The Motorcyclists guide to surviving the everyday world!
ISBN# 1-4137-6187-9
http://helptheyreallouttogetme.com