Any hints? Battery in Maglite went rampant

art.robinson art.robinson at
Sun Jun 21 12:32:26 PDT 2009

Hello Alex:

I had much the same problem with a laser level.

Over here there is a device for cleaning car battery terminals and it
has a circular wire brush on one end, which I used to clean out the
inside of the battery chamber. This still left the front contact and for
that I used a piece of emery paper glued onto the butt end of a drill
bit and rotated it with my electric drill. The whole thing is functional

Good luck!

Art in TO

PS. How is the Princess?

-----Original Message-----
From: gpzlist-bounces at [mailto:gpzlist-bounces at]
On Behalf Of The Masons
Sent: 21 June 2009 15:21
To: Alexander Finger; Kawasaki GPZ1100 discussion
Subject: Re: Any hints? Battery in Maglite went rampant

What make of cells are you using?  I know Energizer & Duracell have
guarantees on their cells.  If their cells let go and damage your
electrical/electronic device they will replace/repair it.  There is a
chance that other well known brands (Panasonic, Ray-O-Vac etc.) have
Energizer had my Eagle sonar repaired and replaced a Maglite (2 AA
Don't toss the cells, as  they won't cover the guarantee without them.
If you have tossed them or they are some noname brand do as Charles
with the baking soda and water. If you're getting bored waiting for that
work put a little vinegar in --or not.  You can also use sodium
cleaning solutions mixed with water--409, Fantastic.