Cold start problem?

art.robinson art.robinson at
Thu Mar 5 05:40:36 PST 2009

What's "cold" in Melbourne Oz?

I hear 47°C is considered warm.

-----Original Message-----
From: gpzlist-bounces at [mailto:gpzlist-bounces at]
On Behalf Of Simon White
Sent: 05 March 2009 00:51
To: gpz
Subject: Re: Cold start problem?

Hi Chris,

Not sure if this will help, but I've found that, particularly in cold
weather, the bike (mine, at least) starts fastest using this method:
Turn on ignition (no choke)
Crank engine until it catches (usually only one or two revs)
Use throttle to keep revs up (slightly), while turning choke to about
Release throttle - engine will keep running nicely, with a slight
increase in revs as it warms.  Adjust choke down until no longer

I only discovered this method after about 3 years of ownership, but it
works every time for me, even at or below freezing.  Prior to my
"discovery" I had the same issue as yourself.

'95 GPz1100 - Big blue rhinoceros.
Melbourne, Australia
Never put off till tomorrow
what you can get someone else to do today.

Be Yourself @!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at