Fork Bolt Tool

Christian Hutter c_hutter at
Sun Mar 15 19:58:58 PDT 2009

   It's been a while since I last replaced my GPZ's fork seals but, on other bikes I've used some long 3/8" extensions and a spark plug socket inverted so the bolt shaped portion is facing outwards.  I've also read about people using a wooden dowel and wedging it in the internal bolt.  If you have air tools or a power driver, try spinning the allen head quickly and it may loosen up instead of spinning the internals.  Lastly, this is my first post in a long, long time so to all that remember me, yes I'm alive and yes, I still have my GPZ but don't get to ride it much these days.

Chris H. in PA since '01 (Formerly in NJ)
> Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:15:19 -0400
> From: Bob Nelson <majordad at>
> Subject: fork seals

> Ok, who has changed their front fork seals without the "special tool" to
> hold the internal cylinder from turning while you remove the bottom
> allen head bolt. On my Sabre we can remove the similar bolt while the
> springs are still inside, but when I try that with the GPZ fork, the
> unit just turns. Any suggestions since I already have my front end apart?
> Bob Nelson

Windows Live™: Life without walls.