Success and another question

Bob Nelson majordad at carolina.rr.com
Tue Mar 17 07:37:22 PDT 2009

I asked about removing the bottom screw from the front forks without the
special tool to keep the inside from turning.  The screw from the left
fork came out with an impact wrench.  The screw from the right fork was
more difficult.  The impact wrench loosened it up but then it just spun.

There were a couple other suggestions, and wanting to try what I had on
hand first, I decided to try using the castle nut from the rear axle to
hold the inside still while I removed the screw.  The only issue was the
suggestion was to use the rear axle to hold it while I put it in the
front fork.  With the front wheel off, I couldn't also remove the rear
axle.  So I looked for something long enough to hold it.  I had already
figured out it was definitely the right size because I slid it down a
wood dowel and it nestled right in.  I had an extra axle from an old
Sabre but it was a smaller diameter so that didn't work.  I figured my
next best try was to find something that would slip inside the castle of
the castle nut and keep it from turning.  My real big slotted screw
driver was long enough but the handle was too big around to slip inside
the fork tube.  Looking around for something long and thin with a
similar slotted end.  I found I had a medium sized crowbar and it fit in
to hold the inside and I got the screw out.  So the forks are back
together except I need one snap ring.  It was rusted in half.  The
dealers don't have them in stock even though they are used in various
Kawasakis.  I need the bike together cause I need it for work.  I tried
making a temporary snap ring out of the thinest coat hanger I had.  It
fits but it is a little thicker than the stock one so it isn't really in
the slot.  I am going to try a local True Value store for some thin
stiff wire for a temporary fix.

But in the meantime, another question.  Has anyone ever matched the
thermostat with a compatible automotive thermostat?  I cleaned my
cooling system last year trying to figure out why my bike would overheat
when I am not moving.  Apparently I never checked the thermostat because
when I checked it this morning, it never opened, even in boiling water.
So any suggestions besides a $30 Kawasaki thermostat?

Thanks for the help!

bob Nelson