how bad is it

The Masons masonjs at nrtco.net
Mon Mar 23 06:00:47 PDT 2009

> Much too loud for a spit shim. Sounds like a rod knock (spun rod bearing)
> to me. Take a rod of some sort, wood or metal (I use a big long
> screwdriver that the shaft goes all the way through the handle),

I should have grabbed a couple of listening devices from a mine I worked at
when they went to electronic units.  These things looked like the recievier
(ear piece) of an old hand crank telephone (look at movies from the 20's and
30's or the old Andy Griffith show) with a metal spike that you applied to
the pump, motor etc that was suspect.