how bad is it

blackgpz at rochester.rr.com blackgpz at rochester.rr.com
Mon Mar 23 08:01:06 PDT 2009

IMO, if it's a spun rod bearing, it's not worth repairing on a 14 YO motorcycle. It's a "split the cases" repair requiring grinding of the crankshaft (or maybe a new one), a new connecting rod and bearings, a thorough cleaning of the motor internally to get all the metal particles out etc. Your cheapest option is to find another complete lower end from a ZX11 and swap it out. Spinning #3 rod bearing is a common though infrequent problem with the late model GPZ and ZX11 lower ends. The oil level should be kept at the top of the sight glass to prevent any chance of oil starvation to that bearing. There are "fixes" involving internal or external modification to the oil pan to increase oil flow (not pressure)to the #3 rod bearing that are in the $150 range. It's not going to be a cheap fix any way you look at it.

Steve