New Engine Design

art.robinson art.robinson at
Sun Mar 29 07:13:49 PDT 2009

It's an interesting point about the lubrication.

I remember an article a long time ago (maybe 20years) about an
experiment, conducted in Hong Kong, using taxis with ceramic plated
cylinder bores and no oil lubrication. I guess it didn't work too well
as I never heard anymore, but the use of ceramic in this design maybe
relevant (minimal lubrication needed).

My wife still has her '88 RX7 with over 200 kms on it and on its second
engine. Yes, it's a dirty little engine that is really smooth and goes
like stink. It uses a staggering amount of gas. You can almost see the
gas gauge needle move!

Art in TO

-----Original Message-----
From: gpzlist-bounces at [mailto:gpzlist-bounces at]
On Behalf Of Jeffrey Walker
Sent: 28 March 2009 21:19
To: gpzlist at
Subject: RE: New Engine Design

It's interesting, but I wonder how it is lubricated.  Those two 'lobes'
move back and forth as the ball turns each have to seal along a fairly
dimension on the inside, in addition to the outer surface of the ball.
was the seals on the wankle engine that created the largest design
and initially wore prematurely.  The cure for that was hardening and
treating the seals and chamber with a chrome alloy.  But lubrication of
seals was still a problem.  The RX-7 had an oil injection pump that
oil into the incoming fuel/air mixture.  This was one of the reasons why
they had a hard time passing CA emissions.  They had to add a some
catalytic converters (pre-cat, cat, and cat back) to it, on mine the
had an air injection pump and got hot as hell.  Like I said, lubrication
key.  Most owners added Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas.  Typically the
would start to flake off the rotor housing around the exhaust port....
would then cause wear on the apex seals.

Now that being said, the motor should run smooth as hell.  All the mass
being displaced equally and opposite from side to side along the axis of
rotation, not in and out from the axis.  The only real vibration would
from the ignition pulse.

Pretty cool.