Didn't work!

David Beard davidebeard at comcast.net
Fri May 29 05:29:02 PDT 2009

Guy,

    You say that after riding 80 miles you have an inch of play in the
chain. How much play are you setting into the chain to begin with? You
should adjust your chain so there is between 1" and 1 1/2" of play to
begin with. If you set the chain too tight, you will wear out your chain
and sprockets in a hurry. Causees the chain to run hot and can ruin a
chain very quickly. Too loose is better than too tight when adjusting a
chain. I don't know if an over tight chain will induce a vibration or
not. Since it doesn't happen until 5 or 10 minutes after you've been
riding, is it possible you have a bad tire? Possibly out of round or
balance and after the tires warm up, the problem becomes obvious?
    The oil leak sounds like the usual leak around the shifter shaft.
That seal is notorious for leaking. Fairly easy to replace, though it's
been awhile since I've done it. Charles is an expert on this problem and
can jump in with instructions.

Dave B